It was Gumboots and Umbrellas Day today. We walked to school wearing our gumboots and just as well we had our umbrellas because, it rained! It was fun walking in the rain especially with the teachers and Constable Harwood walking with us.
In class, we read an article about where gumboots came from.We learned that:
- Taihape is the Gumboot Capital of New Zealand. They have a Gumboot Festival every year at Easter time and they have a gumboot throwing competition too.
- A soldier called The Duke of Wellington invented the gumboots in England about 200 years ago. His boots were made of leather.
- Gumboots are also called Wellington boots or Wellies.
- Some are made out of rubber and plastic.
- They always used to be black but now you can get them in different colours with some great patterns on them.
Room 14 designed some fancy gumboots on Kidpix. We used the stamps to decorate our gumboots. We think they look AWESOME.