Friday, August 23, 2013

Today was Gumboot and Umbrellas Day

It was Gumboots and Umbrellas Day today. We walked to school wearing our gumboots and just as well we had our umbrellas because, it rained! It was fun walking in the rain especially with the teachers and Constable Harwood walking with us. 

 





In class, we read an article about where gumboots came from.We learned that:
  •  Taihape is the Gumboot Capital of New Zealand. They have a Gumboot Festival every year at Easter time and they have a gumboot throwing competition too.
  • A soldier called The Duke of Wellington invented the gumboots in England about 200 years ago. His boots were made of leather. 
  • Gumboots are also called Wellington boots or Wellies.
  • Some are made out of rubber and plastic.
  • They always used to be black but now you can get them in different colours with some great patterns on them.
Room 14 designed some fancy gumboots on Kidpix. We used the stamps to decorate our gumboots. We think they look AWESOME.































































8 comments:

  1. It was a great day for us, because the gumboots were different and colourful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked making my gumboot on kidpix

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had fun on gumboots and umbrella day

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done room 14. What pretty colours. The decorations make my eyes water. Sophie's had different stamps from top to bottom,Marti's is overflowed with flower's of red orange and yellow and Akaylea's is filled with life, pattern and colour. I would love to do some more Kid Pix colourings on the computer's. I don't think I know any other school better then you. I hope you enjoyed Gumboots and umbrella's day as much as I liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was fun using the stamps and other new things. All the gumboots are fantastic. I like all the beautiful patterns on the gumboots.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done!!! I love the picture's. Here is some more picture information. Benji's is filled with umbrella's, Hamy's one make's me smile,the star's on Hannah's one twinkle and the hearts are velvet red. Abbie has different birds. Did you know that is Kathrine the duchess of Cornwalls's favorite colour? Yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was quite hard for me to draw my gumboot on the computer because the mouse goes everywhere.

    ReplyDelete